Yesterday on Facebook a friend wrote about how her husband doesn't do diapers -- and I of course commented.. this got me really thinking about Michael and how much he really does. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not going to judge or belittle how others relationships work -- for this particular friend she wrote that he does other things that she doesn't like to do, they have balance. The only person I can speak for is me.
I could not be in a relationship that puts all of the 'child raising' duties on me. I just could NOT do it. Two people decide to have a child --not one (or atleast not most of the time, haha). I've heard people say before that being on maternity leave or being a stay at home mom means that 'taking care of the children is your job.' This statement is not only ridiculous but I also find it offensive. It sets me off like none other. I realize that my husband is working outside the home and he has to get up and go to work, but being a mom is 24 hours a day 7 days a week. When he's at work -- he can pee when he needs to. He can have a snack, or make a phone call, sometimes even have some alone time. Me? Not so much. My husband works hard, but he does not work 24/7. I sometimes think guys just say it as a cop-out -- if they don't feel like doing something (ie getting up in the middle of the night, or making a bottle at 6 am).. but I can honestly say that if I ask him to get up with either of the babies, M does. He makes bottles, changes diapers, deals with temper tantrums with no complaint. He loves playing with his babies, taking them places (ie the park), bathing them, reading to them, or anything Kingston decides will be fun at 7 am. Yes -- he may do it with a yawn, and his Blackberry in hand - probably putting out some fire at work, but he does it willingly.
So -- for his shoutout.. I'd like to say that the past few days with K being on antibiotics.. his mood and temperament fluxuates by the minute. As per usual - no idea what's going on with C but she could nap anywhere from 45 minutes to 3.5 hours. I've been trying for two days to get laundry folded and put away and it just can't happen when they're awake. I decided to take Kingston swimming in the AM while Michael looked after Charlotte and did some work via his BB.. when I got home I fed the babies and put them down for a nap yesterday, made myself lunch and checked email. All of 30 minutes passed when I headed upstairs to get that laundry done! Sure enough -- 10 minutes in, I heard Charlotte start screaming. I put on her mobile and gave her back her suckie.. but she was determined that she wasn't going back to bed. In a frantic, frustrated, "when am I going to get this done?!" text to M (who was working in his office) he responded that he would take care of Charlotte. So now I've taken up most of his morning, he got a couple hours work in, and then he was going to take another hour off to deal with our baby girl? I resisted, and he assured me that he could take an hour to help me. In this time the screaming had also woken Kingston. So now he had both babies to entertain while I folded the mountain of laundry (and watched '16 and Pregnant'). After I got most of it done, he brought the babies to the playroom and went back to work for a couple hours, before making Kingston dinner and packing the diaper bag, while I got the babies snack/sippy/bottle ready and dressed them. At this point, we've become a well oiled machine, and I rarely have to ask M to do anything. We just check with each other, "bottles in the bag? Changed K or C's diaper?", and are on our way.
AND THEN -- last night after Group Power class at the gym.. he tells me he's going to work late (after I go to bed) so he can take the morning off to bring the babies swimming.
How many men do that? Give up watching tv or surfing the net, to WORK so they can spend the morning swimming with their babies. I'd say I was shocked but I wasn't. I saw his face on Thursday morning when I said I was taking Kingston swimming. Total jealousy. He loves doing family activities -- any family activities.
So babe.. I doubt your reading this.. but if you are.. Thank you. You are amazing. You sacrifice your own 'free' time for the benefit of your children and I know that. You do so much for me and our family and I appreciate you. I realize I may not always seem appreciative, but know that I am. Know that your children will grow up having wonderful memories of time spent with their dad. Know that your wife adores watching you make your little girl laugh uncontrollably. Know that your son will never find someone he likes to play cars with more than his daddy. You are the best dad that a child could ever have. I love you. We love you.
And that's it for the mushy stuff.
Aww I love the mushy lovey stuff! I'm all about giving shoutouts to the boys, I don't think women do that enough (most women prefer to talk about how their men are slobs, etc.) M can make the odd parking mistake, and we'll forgive him, cause he's a pretty great guy. :)
ReplyDeleteIts such a blessing to have a wonderful husband to help you out!
ReplyDelete