Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Parking Ticket

This is part 2 of the Parking Ticket saga.

Remember the parking ticket that M receieved for parking on the street because he couldn't get in the driveway because the snow had to be shovelled?  And remember that his beautiful and intelligent wife TOLD him he was going to get a ticket?  And remember when he was shocked and appauled that he got a ticket and made a HUGE deal that he was going to fight it, that he was allowed to park on that part of the road because it was designated for parking?  And remember me saying that I was going to end up paying for it because he doesn't have time to fight it? (If you didn't know the story.. that's the jist of it). 

I've been harrassing him since that DAY to figure out when he had time to head downtown to make his court appointment -- or to just let me pay for the damn thing. 

Fast forward to today, March 29th.

Michael: "Babe... I guess if you want to pay the parking ticket.. I'll admit you were right... and it has to be paid by today."
Jen: smiles. "Uh huh.  Just give me the ticket and I'll pay it online."
Michael: "I will before I leave for work."

*Michael continues getting ready for work.
*Michael leaves for work.
*Michael exchanges something at Old Navy and then calls wife to tell her he's refrained from purchasing more things.  Wife asks husband to get mail on the way home.
*Michael enters house with no mail in hand.

Jen: "No mail?"
Michael: F@&%.
Michael goes and gets mail.

A little while goes by.. Wife still doesn't have ticket to pay.  After putting the babies to bed she tracks down husband in office and asks for ticket.  Gets upstairs to pay it, and really looks at ticket.  Goes back down to office.

Jen: "Okay.  Now I'm pissed." 
Michael: "What'd I do now?"
Jen: "Please look at the date on the ticket."
Michael: "March 12"
Jen: "Please read the instructions on the ticket."
Michael: "Pay within 15 calendar days.."
Jen: "AND?!"
Michael: "Umm.. its late?"
Jen: "AND according to the back of the ticket I can't pay online -- so it's going to be even later if I have to mail the payment.  Who knows how much it's going to go up for being late."
Michael: "Uhh...ohhh... Ummm.. I"ll call them."

*Husband calls city parking.. whatever-they're-called.  Luckily he gets a really nice lady to talk to, who tells him you CAN pay tickets online now, and she instructs him how to do so.  She also happens to ask for the infraction number to find out the balance. 

Wonderful parking tele-operator we'll call her.

Tele-operator: "Is this your car?"
Michael: "Yes."
Tele-operator: "It's registered with Sarnia plates."
Michael: ".... yes" -(apparently we have not changed our address yet).
Tele-operator: "You know what I'm going to do for you sir.   Since this is your first parking infraction in London, and the licence plate is registered as living in Sarnia, we're going to cancel this ticket."

She then goes on to explain to Michael where and how he can park in the city of London for a solid 2 minutes.

Michael hangs up the phone and screams "YESSS.  I took care of the ticket honey.  NOW PUT THAT ON THE BLOG!"

So.. the end of the story goes..

We didn't end up paying for the ticket, and while I was right about EVERYTHING -- he also didn't end up costing us any money.  Really he should be thanking the very nice tele-operator... who saved his ass.

That being said -- we REALLY need to get our plates switched to our London address.  And thankfully, M heard first hand that regardless or not of parking designations on the street -- you cannot park on the side of a London street between 3 and 5 am. 

And we're both left feeling quite victorious now. 

1 comment: