I don't know about anyone else -- but I have difficulty deciding what to make Kingston for lunch almost everyday. His breakfast is always a different kind of dry cereal, some kind of fruit, and then his milk. Easy - peasy. Dinner is whatever we decide to have, adapted for him (the kid hates salad and let's face it, I live on it). I think I struggle because I want to offer him variety... so I have to decide before lunchtime what I'm making for dinner and then work backwards. Or else he could end up with pasta twice in one day, or the same vegetables, etc. A lot of the time we give him random plates for lunch. By random I mean whatever I can find in the fridge. Some kind of meat, cheese, some vegetables, some fruit. He LOVES these lunches. I strive to 'mix it up' so that he likes lots of different foods. With that being said we all know I don't cook :) and I am an extremely picky eater -- I do NOT want him to be that way.
Today while I was lacking inspiration, Kingston went to the pantry and pulled out a container of kraft dinner and handed it to me. He hasn't had it in a few weeks, so I thought it would definitely be the easy choice for today! Michael thinks its funny -- but when I make him meals like this, I always mix in vegetables. I tried putting them on the side the first time I gave it to him, but he inhaled the pasta and left all the veggies. Smart little dude. So now I mix up the veggies into the KD and he gobbles it up with a huge smile on his face, which of course puts a huge smile on mine! Through this process I've been able to get him to eat broccoli again (yay!) and we're working on green beans... he has never liked them but I'm not giving up. I realize on the whole, he's a good eater -- I just want to keep it that way.
His menu today:
Alphabet cereal mixed with blueberries for breakfast.
Peach yogurt and strawberries for snack.
Kraft dinner (whole grain!) and vegetables for lunch.
Cheese & fishie crackers for snack.
Chicken fajitas with peppers, onions, salsa for dinner.
Our bubba eats well.
Oh and on a side note, I think Charlotte will be starting solids soon. She woke up this morning at 5 am STARVING, so I think shes ready to take on more than just formula...
This post is really random -- I guess I'm just needing some validation that it's NOT weird that my child has never had kraft dinner without having vegetables mixed into it? Same goes for rice... :)
Very smart to mix in the veggies, that way he'll remember KD and rice tasting "the way mom made it" and will probably feel he is missing out if he just has the plain empty starches!
ReplyDelete